Thursday 24 January 2008

Ambulance and Irony

Ambulance and irony, sounds like it should be the title to a song. Now why I am suddenly thinking about Paul McCartney and Stevie Wonder? If you 'googled' 'ambulance' and ended up here expecting to read about the history of ambulance services, my sincere apologies. However if you 'googled' 'irony', you may just want to continue reading.
I know there are times we struggle to come up with something to blog about. Believe me, this is most definitely a situation I would rather have done without. It is a scenario where if you didn't laugh you would cry. Thank goodness, that these days, I have mostly a positive attitude. For without it, I dread to think how I would have coped.
Friday night, January 18th at about 10:15 P.M. my destiny was a 'collision' course with fate. Fate called my name and there was little I could do. Never mind the 'what if' or 'if only', maybe in some bizarre way, the incident I am about describe was meant to be.
After coordinating a Changes meeting in Hanley, Stoke on Trent, I offered my good friend Steven a ride back to his home. Upon getting to the roundabout an ambulance in the left-hand merge lane came hurtling through. I stopped to let the ambulance go through unimpeded. Sadly, the driver did not continue on up through the roundabout. Instead, the ambulance smashed into the left rear of my 'mid-life chrisis', 'divorce mobile'. We were both stunned and shaken but we remained remarkably calm.
Luckily nobody was hurt. Steven and I were taken inside the ambulance, they made sure we were okay. That is when the irony of the situation truly took over in my mind. If you are going to be involved in a road accident, I suppose it is mighty handy that the other vehicle is an ambulance. So whilst in the ambulance, my more surreal nature kicked in. I think 'Monty Python' would have been proud. For a few brief moments, unbelievable I know, I became rather silly. "Can I have your name and address please?" asked the lady ambulance attendant. "You want my name and address? So what am I suppose to use?" I replied. I was given a rather quizzical look. You see, even at a time when hysteria may have overwhelmed me, I relieved my tension by desperately searching for some humour in an ironic mishap.
Despite all that transpired, I have attempted to remain positive and philosophical. The first two days after the accident, I couldn't sleep. Yet instead of becoming frustrated by my date with insomnia, I used it to my advantage. Keeping active was the key. Positive distractions were essential. I looked out my living room window. There was my garden, inspired, I went outside and prepared my 'santuary' for the rumoured Spring. With inspiration now gathering momentum, I set my sights on given my home a good old clean-up. I stay focused on positive outcomes. Keeping busy the last week has been tremendous therapy. Adversity will never get the better of me.
Not having the use of my car has caused great inconvenience. Yet through this inconvenience, I have, heaven forbid, gotten a lot of exercise. Where I live is some distance from the shops and buses. So I now have a daily 'safari' to the shops (yeah I know, 'safari' so good). However I am not that bothered. I will get by, I have much to be grateful for.
Right then, none the worse for wear, I remained undaunted. I recognise the irony of having an ambulance using the back of my car as a brake. I thank the fate that destined that event; didn't create a more traumatic outcome. I thank Steven for staying calm and collected. I am proud of how well I reacted to that whole sorry circumstance. Moving on from this, I am a stronger, more resilient person. In my life I look for all the positives, every cloud can most certainly have a silver lining.
So for those of you who may have been searching for information on ambulances, once again, sorry about that. For those of you who were looking for an example of 'irony', you may have just come to the right place. Last Friday I had a 'smashing' time. Just when I was considering what to blog about..hmmm. If I didn't laugh, I would cry.

7 comments:

  1. Hi Klahanie,
    Once again a super and quite amusing piece of writing, the pity is that it is totally based in fact.
    I know that the old"mid-life crisis/divorce mobile" although at the root of many a joke/pun from yourself , has infact been far more than a car to you. I am heartened that you have remained positive and not taken this as a sign to isolate yourself in the wilds of the moors. It can't be easy trudging through the weather we have been having to catch a bus into Hanley for your volunteer sessions.
    I guess it is a lesson to the rest of us, that keeping recovery moving is a dynamic thing that a collision with fate is incapable of stopping, so long as we have the motivation and determination.
    And anyway we in the big city would miss you!!!

    Hope things sort out soon

    Philip

    ReplyDelete
  2. Just very glad you're both safe and sound! Emma.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Well what can i say to that?? You are well which is a bonus and you have yet another fab blog, so it aint all bad!! For some reason I keep thinking that this is the sort of thing that could only happen to you. Im saying nothing about the size of your rear end!! lol. No really; you had a smashing time and without trying to 'Shatter' your illusions or 'destroy' your flow of blogging but we love when bad stuff happens to nice people because its funny.... Sorry!!! till next time, B

    ReplyDelete
  4. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Haven't you been in the wars lately? Just wanted to say, thanks for trekking from the wilderness of over yonder to the wilderness of the office to help out, promote our cause and keep our projects going - it's much appreciated and always good to see you. Like the other comments, the main thing is that you're in one piece - the car's much less important. And I'm sure you'll fix yourself up with another vehicle soon, though I'd advise trying to outwit Fate - maybe try off-road driving from now on.

    S

    ReplyDelete
  6. I am very sorry to hear of your accident Klahanie, but very glad that you both came away unhurt!
    Best wishes....D x

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hi Klahanie, sorry to hear about the accident. You have done well coping though. You have stayed positive and been strong. You are definitely on the up. This situation might of really got to you a while ago. Keep strong.

    ReplyDelete

I do try to comment back to each commenter individually. However, I might have to shorten my replies or give a group thank you. That way, I can spend more time commenting on your blogs. Thank you and peace, my friend.