Wednesday 18 March 2009

Gnome Sweet Gnome.

With the radiance of excitement, I prepared myself for the annual 'oh good grief, what has happened to my beautiful garden?' tidy up ritual. It is amazing just how tired and messy a garden can be after another dreary winter.
Yet now it is spring here in Britain. Ah spring and all sorts of words spring to mind. Spring rolls, spring chicken, spring onions, Jerry Springer. I once had a tin of spring chicken soup. Trouble was that when I went to put on the can opener; the can of soup sprung into the air and bashed me in the eye.
The weather here has been very nice. Soaking in the rays of the warm sunshine, I wander around my garden. I observe the beauty, listen to the birds sing, hear the gentle breezes whistling through the trees and feel contentment as the wind chimes play a merry tune. Ah the joys of spring and a renewal of nature as it emblazes the land with wondrous colour.
Yes, the weather has been remarkably pleasant lately. One particularly pleasing sunny day a chap made a comment to me: "Hey up! It's hot in the sun." Well not one to be pedantic, however, just this once, I thought to myself: 'Ofcourse it's hot in the sun. Matter of fact the temperature at the centre of our local glowing orb is 27,000 degrees fahrenheit or 15,000 degrees centigrade.' Ofcourse, no matter which temperature measurement you prefer; that is pretty darn hot.
Now then, let's end this blog with some random garden thoughts. Why do they call them bedding plants? I expect them to have matching sheets, pillow cases and a nice duvet to be included in the purchase price. Why is alright for cats to run wild through my garden and use it as a public convenience? (which to me and many others is an inconvenience). Why don't responsible lovers of cats take the flippin' things for walks? Why is 'Gnome' spelt with a 'G'?
In closing, look at the smile on my friend, the garden Gnome. What a sweet smile. Gnome sweet Gnome.

13 comments:

  1. My garden's in a state too. But I just sit in my garden chair ignoring the debris and enjoy the sun while it's here! The daffodils and have still broken through the unkempt borders. But I will make an effort to tidy up a bit soon!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I know what you mean, Gary. My yard is in desperate need of work. I don't know why, but it seems that way every spring...

    I enjoyed looking at your garden pictures on your blog. Loved the dog!(smile)

    It was a pleasure reading your blog today. And, yes, I admired the little smile on the gnome's face...perhaps, he's smiling because it is spring!

    'Til next time,
    Mattie

    ReplyDelete
  3. Sounds like your garden has put a spring in your step, great times with the chimes, warm fun in the sun, and a 'scat' to the cats.
    This is a delightful and charming blog Gary. I'm off to purchase new garden gloves. Thank you for the inspiration!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Dear Gary,
    Glad to hear that you can take so much pleasure in your garden. Mine is more like a concrete jungle than a contemplative oasis, which yours seems to be.
    Anyway, continue to hope that you are well and happy. And keep the bad jokes coming!
    Yours with Warmest Wishes,
    David.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hi Julie,
    I hope you have managed to make progress in reclaiming your garden after another miserable winter.
    Now then, speaking of sunshine; well I enjoyed it while it lasted. Here's hoping that this year will be better than the last few British summers.
    Thank you for your comment Julie and oh..happy gardening:-)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hi Mattie,
    It truly is amazing how unkempt the garden becomes over the winter months. It is a bit 'soil destroying'. (groans).
    Thanks for your observations of my garden and our Jack Russell dog, 'Penny'. The Gnome was very cooperative when I took the picture. He sat still and allowed me to take a photograph. How sweet :-)
    Thanks Mattie. I wish you well in getting your garden sorted.
    Kind wishes, Gary.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hey Dixie,
    Thank you for your poetic response. Scat cats indeed!
    Now speaking of spring has sprung; In my haste to get onto what you call 'daylight savings', or what we call here 'British Summer Time', I went and set all my clocks an hour ahead on March 22. Only one week early! Doh!
    Thanks Dixie, warm gardening wishes your way. Gary.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Dear Davud,
    Yes I am lucky to have a garden. Although when I moved in, it was more a matter of: "Garden? what garden?"
    Bad jokes? Moi? Although, I have been thinking about those cat lover's taking their kitties for walks. Three in the morning with their feline friend, sitting on a fence and letting out a great meow.
    The cats are pretty noisy also.
    Thanks for your comment David. Must go and practice 'dirt boarding'....'turf's up'!
    Kind wishes, Gary.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Hi Gary,

    Spring is a time of renewal and dirty hands. I spent yesterday fixing broken sprinkler heads and collecting all the little twigs and such that have blown off the trees over the winter.

    You have left me much to ponder. I may not sleep wondering just why there is a G in Gnome! I'm just glad I was not named Lloyd.

    Namaste and enjoy the renewal.

    Roger

    ReplyDelete
  10. Hello Roger,
    Spring is indeed a time for renewal, dirty hands and ongoing garden therapy.
    I hope you manage to get some sleep and not ponder too much over the 'G' in Gnome. Roger, I just 'Gnu' you would mention that.
    Gardening regards, Gary:-) (friend of the 'aardvark')

    ReplyDelete
  11. Hi selina,
    Thank you very much for your kind comment. I am most honoured that you have been reading my blog.
    Positive wishes, Gary.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Hello Gary, I realised why I thought you were across the (garden?) pond - it's that Canadian connection that's done for me! *smacks hand to forehead*

    Love the idea of the bedding for the plants :) With two boys, my garden has more in common with Wembley. After it was demolished. ;)

    ReplyDelete
  13. Hello Jaye,
    Welcome to my side of an 'English Country Garden'. Sorry, I may have caused some confusion by typing in a Canadian accent lol.
    I have had the privilege? of going to the old Wembley (The Venue of Legends). I can see why they got rid of the place. All the seagulls hovering overhead, thinking they were at a landfill site, may have been a clue to demolish the thing and start again.
    Must go now...time to 'scatter' some seeds in my garden:-)
    Take care Jaye and may you and your two boys have happy times in your garden 'hoe, hoe, hoe.'

    ReplyDelete

I do try to comment back to each commenter individually. However, I might have to shorten my replies or give a group thank you. That way, I can spend more time commenting on your blogs. Thank you and peace, my friend.